Office of Student Support & Wellness
About the Office of Student Support & Wellness
The SOM Office of Student Support and Wellness at the UCR School of Medicine works to improve and nurture the overall mental health and wellbeing of our students by offering a variety of training and resources. These tools allow students to approach their wellbeing from a whole health perspective and will help them develop balanced habits that can be used throughout their lives.
The office provides a safe space for students to talk about their mental health and wellness concerns, provide for personal wellness planning, and help students prepare for exams.
Events, Services and Programs
Listed below are events, services and programs offered by the Office of Student Support and Wellness.
- Weekly group Mindful Meditation sessions on Mondays at 12:30 p.m. and Wednesdays at 7:30 a.m.
- Mental health-focused trainings.
- Wellness workshops and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) workshops.
- Events, including regular personal development lectures as well as special events like Unwind Your Mind, Mental Health Awareness Month, and Wellness challenges.
- Individual wellness planning and follow-up check-ins.
- Wellness Days
- Wellness Student Representative Program
Campus Health and Wellness Resources
The university offers a variety of mental health and wellness resources to all students, including on- and off-campus health care, mental health services, and off-campus counseling.
Eight Dimensions of Wellness
Meet Amanda Smith, L.C.S.W.
Amanda Smith, L.C.S.W. is the director of Medical Student Support and Wellness. She is an advocate for student and employee wellness and overall self-care for mental health providers. In her position, she helps members of the SOM community develop tools and opportunities to create balance in their academic, personal, and professional lives.
In addition to being a licensed clinical social worker, she works as adjunct faculty member at the Cal State University San Bernardino Masters in Social Work program.