Helping You to Maximize Your Academic Pursuits


Campus Health and Wellness Resources

Training to become a physician is both stressful and rewarding. If you become aware of issues that are impacting your health and well-being, or the health and well-being of a fellow student, you are encouraged to contact a member of the Office of Student Affairs team. Our staff can provide specialized and confidential referrals regarding academic, psychosocial, and everyday issues. In addition to the Office of Student Affairs, there are a variety of other resources for students listed below.

On-Campus Mental Health Services

The UCR Counseling Center offers a variety of counseling and specialized professional services to assist students in their career, personal and social development. These services include:

  • Individual and group counseling.
  • Workshops on stress management strategies, gender issues, diversity awareness, and goal setting.
  • Psychological assessment.

If additional psychiatric counseling is warranted, the Counseling Center will refer students to one or more local psychiatrists who normally take Graduate Student Health Insurance (GSHIP) AND are not faculty members appointed in the UCR School of Medicine.The Counseling Center is located in the Veitch Student Center and is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.. For more information, call (951) 827-5531. For after-hours emergencies, call 911.

Off-Campus Counseling

Ronald Offenstein, M.D.
Riverside Psychiatric Medical Group
5887 Brockton Avenue
Riverside, CA 92506
Phone: (951) 275-8500
Hours: Monday – Thursday
7:45 a.m. – 8:30 p.m
Friday – Saturday: By appointment

The UC Riverside School of Medicine has contracted with Dr. Ronald Offenstein, M.D. of the Riverside Psychiatric Medical Group to provide counseling services to medical students. Students may receive a direct referral from the Counseling Center or can self-refer, either to Dr. Offenstein or the psychiatrist of their choice.

Dr. Offenstein has no clinical affiliation with the UCR School of Medicine, creating optimal separation between the mental health services and the medical education program administrative functions.All counseling meetings are absolutely confidential and the information disclosed during sessions is not disclosed at any time to ANYONE outside of the Riverside Psychiatric Medical Groups. Students are encouraged to seek counseling with the intent of maintaining good mental health and/or for help in addressing general life issues.

After-Hours Health Care

Urgent Care

Students with UCR insurance may use the Riverside Medical Clinic's Urgent Care Center at 7117 Brockton Ave. in Riverside. The Urgent Care service is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends. Call (951) 683-6370 for more information.

Emergency Care

Riverside Community Hospital at 4445 Magnolia Ave. in Riverside is the emergency center nearest to the UC Riverside campus. Call (951) 788-3000 for more information. If you are suffering a medical emergency, call 911.

Student Health Care

The UCR Campus Health Center is located in the Veitch Student Center and is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Thursdays. Appointments may be made by calling (951) 827-3031 or by visiting their website.

Emergency Resources

  • The Riverside Community Crisis Intervention Crisis Hotline can be reached 24-hours-a-day at (951) 686-4357.
  • For emergencies on campus, students can reach the UCR Police Department from any campus telephone at 911.
  • For all after-hours off-campus emergencies, students should call 911.

Office of the Ombudsperson

The UCR Office of the Ombudsperson is an independent and confidential resource for conflict resolution. The ombudsperson serves the entire campus community - students, staff, faculty, applicants, parents, administrators - by helping to resolve complaints, by providing information and referrals, and by making recommendations for constructive change.

The Office of the Ombudsperson's Confidential Phone and Message Center can be reached at (951) 827-3213. The office is located in Surge Building, room 390.