Critical Student Resources
This page contains information regarding student health and well being, learning environment, campus climate and student safety.
- Resources provided by the School of Medicine are prefaced with "SOM."
- Resources provided by the UCR campus are prefaced with "UCR."
Please complete your COVID-19 Wellness Survey daily to receive guidance on COVID-19 testing and whether it is advisable to come to campus/work. The survey takes on average 30 seconds to complete. You will be required to show your clearance email to the staff or faculty member when you arrive on campus in order to participate, gain access to, or work at any UCR affiliated site.
UCR SOM COVID-19 Guidelines (updated October 26, 2020)
General COVID Hygiene/Safety Guidelines
We recommend that you follow, at all times, updated infection control and prevention practices as outlined by the CDC. If you have been exposed to or infected with COVID, or if no surgical masks are available for patient care or if you have any concerns about your safety, please call the emergency hotline at (951) 827-8275 or email Student Affairs or education dean immediately. Please also immediately complete the COVID Wellness Survey and the Occupational Exposure link.
|If you develop symptoms attributable to COVID-19 infection||If you are exposed
to COVID-19 positive person
|If you are exposed to a person
under investigation or a non-clinical contact
UCR SOM is committed to our students’ safety especially while you are taking care of patients. The COVID epidemic has posed a unique challenge for all healthcare workers as it can be easily transmitted both in the community as well as the clinical setting. We consider our students who are on clinical rotations to be part of our essential healthcare team and they need to be adept in providing safe patient care during this COVID-prevalent time. This document provides helpful guidelines to assist you as you navigate patient care. These guidelines will be updated as the evidence emerges and new standards evolve.
General COVID Hygiene/Safety Guidelines
- Maintain six feet distance from other if possible, avoid close contact with others for less than 15 minutes if possible.
- Students should not participate in aerosol generating procedures or specimen collection unless properly supervised AND have proper equipment (N95, gown, gloves and eye protection).
- Please wash hands or use alcohol based sanitizer after contact with any high touch surfaces (counters, work desks, door knobs elevator buttons, multi use computers etc.)
- We recommend that you follow, at all times, updated infection control and prevention practices as outlined by the CDC. If no surgical masks are available for patient care or if you have any concerns about your safety, please call the emergency hotline at (951) 827-8275 or email Student Affairs or education dean immediately.
- Wear facemask at all times (cloth face masks are not considered PPE) even when not performing patient care in clinical settings
- Change into cloth mask only when leaving hospital/clinical site or if soiled, damaged or have difficulty breathing. If mask is removed and plan for extended usage, fold in half making sure to have the outer surface not come in contact with the side that touches the face.
- N95 are not recommended for routine clinical care
Needlestick/Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure
Students should follow the Exposure Protocol outlined in the student handbook for exposures.
Students who need support with an exposure incident should call the dean’s exposure support line: (951) 827-8275. This number is available for emergencies 24/7. SOM leaders take turns covering this number.
Remember that all students are required to report exposures to Student Affairs within 24 hours.
Health, Support & Wellness
- SOM Student Support and Wellness - Contact: Amanda Smith, Director
- SOM Financial Aid
- UCR's Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) 24/7
Counseling available free of charge for all students.
- Crisis Text Line 24/7
Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a crisis counselor
- Off-Campus Counseling
- Livehealth Online
- UCR Student Health (951) 827-3031
- UCR CARE Office (951) 827-6225
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-8255
- UCR Diversity Offices
- UCR Wellness Center
- UCR Basic Needs Pantry
- UCR R’Closet Professional Clothing Assistance
Mistreatment & Conduct
- SOM Grievance Committee Email Address (951) 827-7826
- SOM Professionalism Concern Reporting
- UCR Office of the Ombuds (951) 827-3213
- UCR Title IX Office (951) 827-7070
- SOM Equity Advisors
Important Policies and Forms (SOM)
- SOM Medical Student Handbook
- SOM LACE Student Handbook
- SOM Travel
- SOM Conflict of Interest
- SOM Emergency and Planned Absences
- SOM Forms, Policies & Procedures
- SOM Clerkship Guide